[FRIAM] Peirce, Buddhism, Monism, Behaviorism, oh my!

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue May 31 05:03:31 EDT 2022

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/282-do-you-really-have-a-self/id733163
012?i=1000563340865

Jay Garfield promotes his book Losing the Self on the Sam Harris Podcast.  I
can see no evidence that Garfield ever read a word of Peirce, but It's
fascinating how closely he tracks Peirce's monism.  Fascinating, also, to
see how Harris never quite gets it, repeatedly trying to drag the
outside/inside distinction back into the conversation, while slathering
praise on Garfield for eliminating it.  Reminds me of James's failure to
ever quite "get" Peirce.  But then it was James who died a neutral monist.
Oh well.

Reminded me of all the times that Dave West has accused me of being a closet
Buddhist.

Nick

Nick Thompson

ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com>