[FRIAM] books by cheng and chang

Roger Critchlow rec at elf.org
Wed Nov 2 11:43:59 EDT 2022

Thanks, Glen.

It would be nice if there were a public bibliographic reference url that
one could use to name a book that only conveyed the thing in itself.
Goodreads was that once, then Amazon bought them.  Ditto for video and
audio recordings and other objects of public interest.

Eugenia Cheng has other books and a pile of youtube videos.  Interestingly,
her primary institutional affiliation is the Art Institute of Chicago,
where as resident scientist she teaches math to art students.  She has a
public reading for kids scheduled in Jersey City this month.  Her
definition of category theory is "the mathematics of mathematics" which she
expands as "the logical study of the logical study of logical things."

Hasok Chang has a third book, Is Water H2O, which Amazon fails to index on
his amazon author page, though it is on amazon at a blistering price in
every available format.  I found a pdf on the internets.  It's details the
history of working out the chemical identity of water.  Two themes are that
1) the consensus answers to scientific questions often change in
anticipation of the arrival of corroboration, 2) there are often multiple
acceptable answers to scientific questions.  These are possibly
consequences of being a realisitic realist.

-- rec --