[FRIAM] (not) leaving Twitter

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Nov 17 16:27:38 EST 2022

Eric/Roger -

I appreciate your personal anecdotes re:LANB.   I think it was a shining
star in it's own way.  I have known people who worked there over the
decades and have known a few of the families of the principles including
a couple who acted as personal assistant/caretakers for the Cowan's in
their last years.   I am acutely impressed with George's (and other
peers) role in the establishment and maintenance of the institution over
the decades.   Most of my other anecdotal experiences are less
one-sided, but it is the nature of small town pettiness/politics/gossip
as much as anything in particular.

It *was* in many ways a "no brainer" to have a payroll the size of
LASL/LANL on deposit and a captive audience of the bulk of the employees
and local businesses as customers, so it isn't surprising that they
thrived.  They held 4 different mortgages over my decades and they did
well by them, though they did sell 2 of them (as was the agreement) to a
third party which was at least moderately inconvenient (lapses/overlaps
in direct-deposit payments, escrows etc) but it all worked out.   I know
of people (re: EricS experiences) who received impressive personal
treatment... my daughter worked in the Mortgage dept for several years
and holds a number of great positive anecdotes from that era.

When some trust-busting rules came along (maybe it was when UC lost the
contract?) LANB no longer held the contract's payroll and it seems like
it was soon after (<6 years) that the parent company took a large
outside investment which I *think* was the prelude to a full sale to
Enterprise Bank and Trust.

Meanwhile Del Norte (formerly Los Alamos) Credit Union and Zia Credit
Union and a couple of other trades CUs (Schools, ???) bop along as
second class players to the big banks (LANB/Enterprise included).
There are two major bank branches (buildings) evident in Los Alamos,
though I couldn't name them).   Credit Unions are now offering
Mortgages, they did not last time I took one out (16 years ago).

- Steve