[FRIAM] Automata with FFT

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 1 18:19:29 EDT 2022

RE: Alexander and Geometry

First, my notion of 'geometry' may be too simplistic and too Euclidean. If so, please point out what I may be overlooking.

I did a quick review of Alexander's major works and found few mentions of 'geometry' as I understand the term. One of the major ones was in Timeless Way where he deals with Pattern *_Languages_*. The notion that you could compose architectural insights/truths/novelty by combining patterns much the same way you would construct a sentence using nouns and verbs. He seems to be conveying the idea of a geometry-based "grammar."

If you count APL patterns that seem to have any naive geometric aspect, e.g., "Light From Two Sides" it is less than 10%. If you look at the Fifteen Properties (listed below), most (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 10, and maybe 13) are conceivably 'geometric'. But the most important concept in APL/TO is "QWAN" and in NO, it is "Liveness"—neither of which have any, that I can see, rely on the "geometric" properties as much as they do properties like Deep interlock and ambiguity, Simplicity and Inner Calm, and Not-separateness. In terms of patterns from APL, this would include things like Dancing in the Streets, Sleeping in Public, and Storefront Schools which, like most APL patterns, have little or nothing to do with spatial arrangement/geometry.

I asked Jenny Quillien and Richard Gabriel (both of whom worked extensively with Alexander and Gabriel was responsible for arranging Chris to be keynote speaker at OOPSLA) about the importance of Geometry in Alexander and neither thought it was more than an afterthought or an artifact. Geometry might be inferred because Alexander liked visual images like the ones attached and they do show spatial arrangement, a kind of geometry.

[ I think Alexander made a major error with his property, Alternating Repetition, precisely because he expressed it "geometrically" rather than in "living' terms as rhythm.]

Nick Salingaros was a far more accomplished mathematician than Alexander, and did, in much of his writing address more geometric issues/ideas. And Salingaros did work with Alexander. But both of them despised contemporary minimalist, functionalist, deconstructivist contemporary architectural theory which dominated (and dominates) the profession. In this stance they appear to be anti-geometry (and any similar formalism).

Salingaros interviewed Alexander as to the central or most important ideas, and the revolutionary nature of Alexander's work. Both men seem to agree that the essence is:

*Your point is that architecture is not about**
*
*building style, but is really a state of mind, and**
*
*that good architecture is any structure, however**
*
*modest, that generates an identifiable positive**
*
*state of mind that allows you to be alive to the**
*
*fullest extent possible. This idea is profound as**
*
*well as revolutionary, since it stands architecture**
*
*on its head. You validate our most basic feelings**
*
*as human beings and insist that the built environment**
*
*must nurture our inner joy, sadness,**
*
*vulnerability, unselfconsciousness, and so on. All**
*
*the formal architectural concerns — and names**
*
*like Le Corbusier, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe,**
*
*Frank Gehry, and Daniel Libeskind — are thus**
*
*thrown out of the window.* [Salingaros]

*The new form of**
*
*architecture that I am speaking about is beginning**
*
*to be understood by engineers, by ecologists,**
*
*by computer scientists, by builders, by**
*
*artists, by biologists, by economists. Many of**
*
*these people recognize that architects are simply**
*
*not dealing with the problem of the en-**
*
*vironment in a realistic or useful fashion, and**
*
*that the task of building now falls on their own**
*
*shoulders. Under the impact of that kind of**
*
*thinking, people are now developing new ways**
*
*of banking, new ways of development, new**
*
*forms of social reconstruction, and new forms**
*
*of housing, new forms of sustainable settlements.**
*
*In many countries, the primary way of conceiving**
*
*and making buildings and settlements**
*
*is already people-oriented. It is not recognizable**
*
*within the existing paradigm as architecture,**
*
*and architects despise it because it looks**
*
*low budget, low tech, and is oriented to people’s**
*
*desperate needs — yet all this is, within**
*
*the perspective of our new architecture, a major**
*
*contribution to the new, life-based paradigm.**
*
*All this is only its beginning. These new**
*
*kinds of professionals, and new social forms,**
*
*are beginning to develop and propagate new**
*
*ways of doing things.**
*
*And what architects now claim is simply being**
*
*laid aside as the nonsense it really is*. [Alexander]

Still not seeing much in the way for formalism, let along geometric formalism.

davew

Alexander's Fifteen Properties from Nature of Order
1. Levels of scale
2. Strong centers
3. Thick boundaries
4. Alternating repetition