[FRIAM] naive question

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 13:18:42 EDT 2022

Ha! If we're going to argue about words, then let's stick with the word "identity" and skip the "metaphor" nonsense. You and Frank seem to be using the word in a weird way. Identity means "the exact same particular thing over any differencing available" or somesuch. I mean, it's used that way in phrases like "identity theft" as well as mathematical identity. It's equivalence sets all the way down. I just can't imagine any working computationalist would ever say anything like "executed identically" unless ... well ... the exact same process, with the exact same steps, happened.

I suppose there are deep philosophical intuitions pried at by the words "emulation" versus "simulation". And one can argue (again with help from Christian List) about whether there exist fully closed ontological walls like we try to create with things like Jails, HyperV, Docker, VM's like Java's, etc. But "execute identically" is a phrase that would only be used by someone who worked *way* above such levels (assuming levels even exist at all). It's a bit like talking to the kids programming websites these days, with access to infinite disk space, infinite memory, steeped in continuous delivery, etc. [⛧]

Layers of abstraction are fine. Use 'em when you need 'em. But we shouldn't posture by invoking things like "instruction sets" and "execute identically" in the same breath. (Not that you did that ... just sayin'.)

[⛧] Rant: This is a good talk <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ab3ArE8W3s>. But I get super irritated when people use *toy* code in their rhetoric and leave large scale deployment as an exercise for the reader. Yeah, fine. The REPL is cool and all. But when my simulation takes a fvcking WEEK to execute, it's difficult to sympathize. I've recently been playing around with VSCodium, which is pretty cool. But whatever, man. I still have to upload the code somewhere and execute it. Get off my lawn!

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ