[FRIAM] [WedTech] Fwd: GMU CDS/CSS/CSI Colloquium, Friday 10/28, 3 PM: Rob Axtell: We Are NOT Living in a Simulation

Stephen Guerin stephen.guerin at simtable.com
Thu Oct 27 23:03:56 EDT 2022

Hi Bruce!!

Your observation of a puzzle being at just the right level of
difficulty reminds me of this simple and elegant classic book for game
designers:

Raph Koster: Theory of Fun for Game Design
https://www.amazon.com/Theory-Game-Design-Raph-Koster/dp/1449363210
"Now in full color, the 10th anniversary edition of this classic book takes
you deep into the influences that underlie modern video games, and examines
the elements they share with traditional games such as checkers. At the
heart of his exploration, veteran game designer Raph Koster takes a close
look at the concept of fun and why it’s the most vital element in any game.

Why do some games become boring quickly, while others remain fun for years?
How do games serve as fundamental and powerful learning tools? Whether
you’re a game developer, dedicated gamer, or curious observer, this
illustrated, fully updated edition helps you understand what drives this
major cultural force, and inspires you to take it further.

You’ll discover that:

Games play into our innate ability to seek patterns and solve puzzles
Most successful games are built upon the same elements
Slightly more females than males now play games
Many games still teach primitive survival skills
Fictional dressing for modern games is more developed than the conceptual
elements
Truly creative designers seldom use other games for inspiration
Games are beginning to evolve beyond their prehistoric origins"

Stephen.Guerin at Simtable.com <stephen.guerin at simtable.com>
CEO, https://www.simtable.com <http://www.simtable.com/>
1600 Lena St #D1, Santa Fe, NM 87505
office: (505)995-0206 mobile: (505)577-5828