[FRIAM] more structure-based mind-reading

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Thu Sep 1 22:29:45 EDT 2022

If you want to create the appearance of a bond where none exists, get to work.   Once one recognizes the nature of work it is easy.

On Sep 1, 2022, at 6:25 PM, Prof David West <profwest at fastmail.fm> wrote:

From glen: "If you want to share values with some arbitrary shmoe, then get to
      *work*. Build something or cooperate on a common task. Talking,
      communicating, is inadequate at best, disinfo at worst."

This is kinda the whole point of Participant Observation at the core of cultural anthropology. The premise is you cannot truly understand a culture until you live it.

Of course, there is still a boundary, a separation, between the anthropologist and those with whom she interacts, but sweat, calluses, blood, and emotions go a long way toward establishing actual understanding.

davew