[FRIAM] more structure-based mind-reading

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 6 14:04:18 EDT 2022

On 9/6/22 7:57 AM, glen wrote:
> Well, Steve's targeting of "feeling included" does target
> "understanding". I'd argue that the spies don't understand the
> communities they infiltrate. Even deep undercover or method acting
> doesn't provide understanding. I argue that any bad faith actor like a
> spy or "acting while cynical" has a reductive objective as their
> target. What was interesting about the concept of bad faith was
> Sartre's suggestion that the deep undercover operator who finally
> *does* begin to identify with the community they've infiltrated is the
> interesting edge case. That's the cusp of understanding.

Gone native, as it were...

I'll admit to struggling most of my life with the desire to
"understand", and an intuitive awareness that I at least have to "act as
if" something is true, or I am a member of a community, and it is the
_cynical girding_ that I instinctively/habitually use to protect my
(current) self that on one hand *allows* me to "act as if" whilst
keeping me from actually "understanding" in your sense of the word.
Sometimes the cynical girding softens and in some cases (eventually?)
falls away.   Some of the *very best* Catholics I know were
converts-by-marriage who ended up learning about and embracing the
better angels of that heritage without some of the worser demons.   Most
escaped/reformed/recovering Catholics I know have a never-ending
struggle with the blame/shame/guilt holy trinity.

Anyone who has tried to drop or acquire a habit (e.g.
nicotine/alcohol/opiods - dental-hygiene/exercise/meditation) will know
the approach which is to simply *change the behaviour, and the rest will
follow".   One day you ARE a person with good dental hygiene or a
*former* smoker or an AA/NA person with a pin with a double-digit number
of months sober.  You will never be a lifetime abstainer, it's too late
for that.

It is, of course, never that easy, but for myself the spectre of
procrastinion is one thing I know well that works well in this mode.
If I go ahead and *do the thing* I would otherwise avoid/delay, I *can*
get in the groove of doing things at the _earliest possible moment_
rather than the _latest_ or _never_. Mantras like "I can always
procrastinate later" and "the best way to get something done is to do
it" help draw and keep me back in that mode, but the very fact of them
suggest that I am not "there yet".  In some parts of my life I am, in
fact, no longer a procrastinator using this "method"...  it started as
an actor, and eventually I *became* that character, it inhabited me.
I've gone native.

> I suppose I'm making a similar argument to EricC's argument for
> "belief", which I call "dispositional". If you don't act on your
> belief, then you don't actually believe that thing. So, an undercover
> cop who infiltrates a drug cartel but refuses to Necklace a local
> do-gooder just doesn't understand what it means to be in the cartel.
> They can't understand. And they shouldn't understand. The spy is there
> for a more specific objective, not understanding.
I have watched a number of undercover cop stories in my life and a (very
few) of them addressed this *very well*, sometimes with the undercover
cop truly *going native* and sometimes finding some kind of *righteous
bad guy* role to play where (s)he models a new moral system (i.e. honor
among thieves).    These are fictions of course, but possibly
instructive or illuminating of the "edge cases". Also, it is typecast
required that the intimates/relationships of these undercover people
suffer from the ambiguity/paradoxes of "playing it both ways".
> One of those more specific objectives might be *prediction*. In
> simulation and [x|i]ML, there's a stark distinction between predictive
> versus explanatory power. Ideally, strong explanatory power provides
> predictive power. But practically, 80/20, reductive prediction is
> easier, faster, and more important. The excess meaning is swept under
> the rug of variation or noise. At raves, a reductive objective is harm
> reduction. Sure, it would be fantastic to teach all the kids
> pharmaco[kinetics|dynamics] and chemistry ... as well as psychology
> and neuroscience. But the harm reduction tent is not really there to
> get into the kids' minds. The objective isn't understanding. It's a
> reductive focus on dampening the edge cases.
This yields a tangent in my mind (really?) about episodic vs
diachronic,  realism vs impressionism,  show vs tell in narrative,
etc.   But I'll save that for another post (or not).