[FRIAM] The equations of the mind

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Thu Sep 8 18:54:17 EDT 2022

Descartes' "joined and intermingled" view is actually very ancient. The Vedas are the oldest known "philosophical" writings and they put forth the notion that 'Mind' (Purusa) and 'Matter' (Pkrati) are infused from the tiniest atom to large structures. 'Mind' is complex, matter is not, and mind can "self-organize" in a manner akin to biological self-organization: such that, in an organism like a human being, mind is emergently "intelligent" and capable of 'putting itself into a state' whereby it can escape the entanglement and achieve Nirvana.

You are correct is feeling that idea is modern, especially from embodied mind and altered states research of the past 70 years.

davew