[FRIAM] signal and noise

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Fri Sep 9 00:03:50 EDT 2022

“Noise” may have some quantitative properties but nothing that reveals ultimate causality without at least factoring all unseen events from the Big Bang onward.  Signal to noise is about being able to discriminate something you want from something you don’t.   Further, if you wanted to predict the noise part, it just wouldn’t be possible.  There are many different signals to consider that have differing relevance to different observers, and they to can be easier or harder to objectively discriminate from noise too.