[FRIAM] signal and noise

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 10 09:12:24 EDT 2022

On 9/9/22 1:28 PM, glen wrote:
> There's a lot to cover, here. But I want to focus on the two "hypers".
> No, Wolpert's reference to hypercomputation is unrelated to the idea
> that hyper[meta]graphs might be more expressive than other "languages".
I thought maybe, but it was useful to have it explicated.
> To the best of my abilities, hyper[meta]graphs merely allow for the
> expression of multiple edge and node types, expanding it, as a
> graphical system, into the domain already expressible by algebraic
> languages. I could easily be wrong.
I tend to assume a "graph" IS the supertype with something like "common
graph" or "simple graph" representing the familiar untyped or singular
edge/nodes.
> Hypercomputation, which Wolpert only mentions in passing, is simply an
> attempt to talk about things we can't talk about ... effibility, I
> suppose. Again, to the best of my knowledge, every claim to
> hypercomputation has been thoroughly debunked. Wolpert only uses it to
> help talk about things we don't know how to talk about.
Yes, I did google the term to make sure I understood it to be what I
understood it to be... the "hyperbole of computation" perhaps? That
which is currently ineffable seems good as well.

> But *if*, by some miracle, anyone wants to talk about the 12 questions
> Wolpert asks, I'd love it. Here it is again:
>
> https://arxiv.org/abs/2208.03886v1
Excellent and thanks I will take the bait (if not the hook) and read
through them as carefully as my current mental state (unknown even to
me) will support...  and harangue them one-by-one perhaps in a separate
posting.