[FRIAM] God is not a Good Theory

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Sep 14 18:04:14 EDT 2022

I asked Alexa "what is GPT3?",

She quoted from the beginning of the Wikipedia article:

    /*Generative Pre-trained Transformer 3*////(//*GPT-3*//;
    stylized////*GPT·3*//) is an////autoregressive
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoregressive_model>////language
    model <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_model>////that
    uses////deep learning
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_learning>////to produce
    human-like text./

    /The architecture is a standard////transformer network
    <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer_(machine_learning_model)>////(with
    a few engineering tweaks) with the unprecedented size of
    2048-token-long context and 175 billion parameters (requiring 800 GB
    of storage). The training method is "generative pretraining",
    meaning that it is trained to predict what the next token is.///

That wasn't very inspired, yet was probably as useful as anything (to
defer to a presumed authority)...  what I can't guess yet is how it
decided to snip the quote one sentence short of the first full
paragraph?  Maybe Wikipedia has some markup for that...

Alexa, when mashed up with it's myriad "authoritative sources" is a very
effective *hybrid* intelligent assistant...  I'm impressed with how
*balanced* the GPT-3 answers can be, even if they can also be a little
milquetoasty as George Duncan's example exemplifies.