[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Thu Sep 15 13:02:42 EDT 2022

glen∉ℂ wrote:

> Great question.
I also appreciate the specificity of the question, despite wanting to
tease it into 3 parts: A) convincing evidence; B) superior intelligence;
C) cultural inheritance .
> I agree with Dave's emphasis against "finite sequences from a finite
> alphabet" as being central to our SAM. *If* Wolpert's actually relying
> on that as crucially as he seems to be, then the "grow vs. specify"
> accusation isn't a strawman.
Static (specification) vs dynamic (growth) is an important and I think
fundamental distinction.  A genome *is* a finite specification while the
embryology of it's earliest expressive development and the "cultural
embedding" it continues to form within are not precisely finite (maybe
finite-huge in scale but not finite in pre-stateability?).
> But the question Wolpert wants to ask remains; and your concise
> phrasing nails it. If there is an "effective computing" artifact that
> demonstrates maximal intelligence with minimal cultural grounding,
> what is it? One valid answer is there is no such thing.
I do think the question is on the same as "what is art" and "what is
pornography" and the answer "I know it when I see it" isn't fully
responsive but possibly as good as it gets?
> All forms of "intellignece" are not abstract, are
> embedded-embodied-concrete, tightly grounded to context. (Where I'm
> probably relying on my definition of "concrete" more than Dave's.)
In pursuit of an abstract definition of B) above it is tempting to
gesture toward "fitness for survival" but with a *larger* sense of
"self" and a long-now sense of "time".   Ice9, Cancer and grey-goo have
high fitness by some measure but in both cases most would be loathe to
call them "intelligent".   An expansive fitness with an arbitrarily
broad sense of "what means self" might be the most abstract way of
thinking of "superior intelligence"?

> But I think that answer, however valid, is unsound. There are ways of
> behaving that *translate* across contexts. The berserker physicists
> who take that to the extreme notwithstanding, anyone who travels
> experiences this. As Wolpert explicitly mentions, perhaps the "level"
> at which this occurs is our bodies? As long as the society I visit on
> Alpha Centauri was built by homonid-similars, I think some set of my
> behaviors will translate, however small that set.
I think you are arguing for the definition of "self" in this case to be
confined to the contents of our skin-bag (torus really), and maybe on a
good day some of the cells recently shed from it's surface or expelled
from  one end of it's digestive canal or the other?
> But maybe there's a lower level, perhaps capturing less concrete
> detail than a homo-built society, of water and carbon based life? I.e.
> any society built by water and carbon based life will allow some
> translation of behaviors to our society?
It is familiar to define it as carbon-based life, but seems like a
coincidence of history and awareness (if perchance there are non-carbon
based life-forms we are unaware of within our light-cone)?

> I don't grok Dave's antipathy, though. It seems to me like Wolpert is
> *asking* these questions and challenging our berserker Scientismists
> and Mathematicians in the very same gist as Dave does. Wolpert
> wouldn't write (and distribute) papers like this if he *weren't* a bit
> skeptical of the universality of our SAM.
Speaking for my inner DaveW, I think *my* antipathy is not really
specifically to Wolpert's specific questions/formulation, but the
*larger* expanse of Wolperts-at-large whose biases are (naturally)
ethno-centric or more accurately human-chauvanistic and
contemporary-western-civilization centric?   I am more acutely
antipathic in this regard *because* I often *am one*...  there is no
anti-smoker at large than a former smoker, especially one who perchance
sneaks a guilty fag in private now and then?