[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 12:25:31 EDT 2022

I do see us trying to identify the distinguishing markers of ... "cognition we can't imagine". That's fantastic. I'll try to collate some of them going backwards from Marcus':

- novelty - dissimilarity from "cognition as we know it"
- graded separation from human culture/sociality
- simulation in place of symbols (I failed to come up with a better phrase)
- accelerated look-ahead
- percolation from concrete, participative, perceptual intuition and imagination (or perhaps the inverse, a wandering from abstract/formal *toward* embodiment as we see with the rise of GANs, zero-shot, and online learning AI)
- a more heterarchical, high-dimensional, or high-order understanding of "fitness costs" - fitness of fitnesses
- holes or dense regions in a taxonomy of SAMs - including my favorite: cross-species mind-reading
- game-theoretic (infinite and meta-gaming) logics of cognition (including simulation of simulation and fitness of fitnesses)

It seems like all these are attempts to at least circumscribe what we can know about what we can imagine. And if so, it's like a convex hull beyond which is what we can't imagine. I wanted to place "deictic error" in there. But it seems to apply to several of the other categories. In particular, part of Dave and SteveS' irritation with the arrogance of abstraction is that symbols only ever *hook* to their groundings. Logics over those symbols may or may not preserve the grounding. Like the rather obvious idiocy of classical logic suggesting that anything can be concluded from inconsistent premises. When/if an entity can fully replace all shunted/truncated symbols with (perhaps participatory) simulations, it might reach the tight coupling with the simulated (possible) worlds in the same way Dave implies we couple tightly (concretely) with our (actual) world.