[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Sep 17 13:29:39 EDT 2022

On 9/16/22 12:44 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
> Given the how normal extreme inequality is, probably the they/us
> distinction is already happening.  Technology could accelerate it,
> though.
I think we are in agreement.   Technology *has* increased it...
technology *IS* the basis of the increase.  It is not that homo sapiens
is evolving, but rather our extended phenotype is. Whatever evolutionary
event(s) equipped us to significantly extend our phenotype... (all
toolmaking/using) and then to do it *collectively* (readin', 'ritin,
'rithmatik) started this.
> Some people will have direct and indirect cognitive assists, some will
> have designer babies and some won’t, etc.
And of course, the relatively new ability to modify the genome
*directly* is yet another significant qualitative change in this.
Selective breeding is probably at least as old in humans as it is in
domestic animals.  I believe Sarbajit has spoken to this from his own
personal heritage.
>  Over a few generations we might not really recognize one another.
We already have a hard time "recognizing one another" *without* any more
technological enhancement than shared language, basic literacy, advanced
education, access to advanced materials and tooling, economics as our
"differences".    A great deal of our inability to "recognize one
another", however seems to be a form of willful ignorance/ignorant
willfulness...  and that I believe is something of a choice... not a
simple one...   but a choice... a personal one and a (sub)cultural
one.   In principle, I think this is the fundamental feature that
distinguishes the "conservative" from the "liberal" in the US... maybe
throughout the West (or across all "advanced civilizations")?
>  Whether that is utopian or dystopian or neither is subjective.

To "nationalists" and other stylizations of "chauvanists" it (inability
to recognize one another) is likely utopian, to those
seeking/celebrating diversity and inclusion it seems more complex.   The
Nazis seemed to believe that the only way for humanity to move forward
was to dominate and then exterminate everyone who didn't fit their
narrow definition of "the ubermenchen".

In the spirit of "might makes right",  I am highly mistrustful of the
"might" of technological leverage.   While I often present as a full-on
luddite, those of you who know me well, also recognize that I've got a
strong substrate of techno-utopian as the backdrop for that.  I can
hardly hear of a new technology without getting excited at "all the ways
this could make lives more better, or at least undermine the arbitrarily
large suite of insults that we currently endure.   Unfortunately many of
these are the unintended consequence of a previous turn of this very
same crank and to turn the crank another time is to risk the Red Queen
paradox, turning the crank faster and faster, just to keep ahead of the
unintended consequences nipping at our heels (dragging us down and
eating us).

So the (a) question is if it is "inevitable", how do we exercise our own
agency to find our way through this rapidly changing landscape?  Do I
defer to the Kurzweils/Diamandis/Musks to "lead me" into that landscape
(and more to the point, push my grand/children forward into it)?  Who
might I seek out who has a better vantage than I in such navigations?

My latest candidates for hints in this direction include Dietrich
Bonhoeffer (anti-nazi theologian) and James Bridle
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Bridle#cite_note-5> (contemporary
artist/writer)

- Steve

PS.   Or is the landscape metaphor flawed?  I only see a "hellride" in
the Zelazny-Amber sense...  riding across a multiverse manifold
stretched roughly between the poles of Logos and Chaos?   probably an
image only DaveW and Glen have references for?