[FRIAM] Wolpert - discussion thread placeholder

glen∉ℂ gepropella at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 10:26:41 EDT 2022

Yes, it is willful ignorance (aka Evil). If you extrapolate the rather esoteric work of defining a convex hull around possible worlds (whether it's instantiation from a formal foundation like Schoedinger's, limited to high confidence extension of "adjacent possible", or brute force existentiality like David Lewis') to everyday people's attempts to improve themselves or their situation, then yes, it's willful ignorance to sit on one's ass and do nothing.

I don't see Wolpert's effort as anything categorically different than that of a single mom trying to put food on the table for her kid. It expands to the "hustle culture" or gig economy where our kids' "adjacent possible" consists of duck-face selfies on Instagram, composition shorts on TikTok, NFTs, and scamming socialites out of their money (ala Anna Delvey).

The question is what is it we don't know and how can we think about what we don't know. Whether the possible worlds you choose to ... simulate? ... execute? ... realize? involve one or another particular tool (cell phones or category theory) is irrelevant. What matters is that you choose one or many possible worlds to balloon out and see where they go, their extent. Where they do not go, or cannot go, is that convex hull, the corners/edges of which might tell us something about what's outside the hull.

Of course, none of us can do nothing. Even if you kill yourself, you're still food for the worms. So extrapolation too far decoheres the work. So it's convenient to bound the definition with something like "finite sequences from a finite alphabet" or "science" or "basic human rights" or whatever. When one group (like Scientismists) define the work in too small a way, potential contributors are left out of the work. And that may well doom the work to sophistry or triviality. Defining it too large, though, carries similar inverted risks.