[FRIAM] Automata with FFT

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 27 18:38:46 EDT 2022

On 9/27/22 7:40 AM, glen wrote:
> Ha! The way you phrase it makes the guilty verdict sound more serious
> than it was. But the point about problem vs solution space is sound,
> especially given the *forward* map implied by "design". And thanks for
> the summary of Alexander and motivations for the publications, all
> stuff I didn't know.
>
> But I'm piqued by the assertion that the link to geometry was tenuous.
> Salingaros' progression from master of geometric algebra to pattern
> language guru *must* have something to do with a geometric gestalt in
> or *around* pattern languages.
I had some early correspondence with Salingaros as I tried to get my
head around the broader implications of PLs and Alexander's *A*PL in
particular and I felt the same then.  He definitely has a geometric bent
in his perspective.
> I admit it could only be circumstantial, peri-pattern-language. But if
> we look at Penrose (building physical "machines" as a kid), it seems
> clear that embodied-in-4-dimensions can have occult implications for
> the brain farts in later life.
an early philosophical reading I did on "computer graphics", probably
written in the early 70s (I cannot find a proper reference and have
looked for decades now) stated that the (anthropic argument) reason we
live in a 3 dimensional world is that  is the lowest dimension in which
an arbitrary network/graph can be layed out without edge-crossings.
This has huge implications for Edwin Abbot Abbot's Flatlanders as well
as Bob Forward's Cheela (Dragon's Egg, neutron-star-surface creatura).
> So if Alexander's 1st love was art, which is inherently geometric,
> wouldn't his adoption of the application of pattern language be a
> reasonable correlation?
Most visual artists would probably argue that their work is not
inherently geometric.   I'll elaborate in the next slab of lard.

> Maybe there's some ambiguity around the word "geometry"?
I think both visual (flat, wall-hanging, etc) art and architecture are
intrinsically embedded in a *spatial* context which is most commonly
(but not exclusively) described geometrically.
Painting/Sketching/Drawing/Photography/Printmaking/etc. adn.  tend to be
made up of 0,1,2D marks on a surface for sure, but the *import* of those
marks is quite often much more relational. Composition is the easiest
perhaps to express/grok... and yes, the *geometric* composition (what is
next-to/above/occluded-by, etc) is the expression, but the *relations*
being expressed are in an entirely different domain, and the *mapping*
from one to the other is essentially metaphorical, though the
metaphorical source domains (e.g. religious, political, sociological...
) are often layered and rich in their structure, but definitely more
"topological" than "geometric"?
> Sorry for being skeptical from my completely ignorant position. But
> can you explain why you claim the connection is tenuous?
I hope DaveW gives his own contrasting/complementary answer and
hopefully others here have their own trick dogs in this circus?

- Steve