[FRIAM] Automata with FFT

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Sep 27 21:50:44 EDT 2022

On 9/26/22 9:30 AM, Jon Zingale wrote:
> One thing that got me interested in this work is the possibility of
> organizations of agents in different frequency spaces coming together
> to make agents over the total frequency domain. Also, I would be
> curious about the robustness of agents under frequency filtering.
> There appear to be possibilities here that weren't necessarily
> available in other "smooth" approaches.

I'm really glad you tossed this one into the ring, BTW.

I don't know how this maps onto your own thoughts but I have been
cogitating on systems of systems (e.g. ecosystems,
sociopoliticaleconomic, etc) for some time and *they* definitely
represent huge scale ranges in any dimension you can identify/measure.
Multi-scale features abound in the these domains with all sorts of
frequency-dependent coupling/mixing models implied.  " If a tick
carrying lyme disease falls off a grass-blade in a field and lands on a
pet dog with a ... human master who ... etc., does a butterfly flap it's
wings in a typhoon?"  and "for want of a nail..." both come to mind.

I regularly have Herb Simon's prophetic statement
<https://www2.econ.iastate.edu/tesfatsi/ArchitectureOfComplexity.HSimon1962.pdf>
ringing in my ears when I see/hear/think about the modeling of systems
of systems:

    /NEARLY DECOMPOSABLE SYSTEMS In hierarchic systems, we can
    distinguish between the interactions among subsystems, on the one
    hand, and the interactions within subsystems -i.e., among the parts
    of those subsystems~n the other. The interactions at the different
    levels may be, and often will be, of different orders of magnitude./

Agent modeling carries a strong bias toward quantized entities but makes
spatial and time frequency coupling more obvious/easy/explicit than some
other forms...  I think of CA (including the myriad sub-species that
Chan offers in Table 1) as specialized/constrained cases of
Agent-models, just with specific spatio-temporal regularity imposed?