[FRIAM] Nick's monism kick

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 23:51:12 EDT 2022

Dear Friends,

Eric has prompted me to wade into this thread, but I confess I have not well understood the issues, even from the start.   So much of subsequent characterization of my position feels so foreign to me that I don’t now how to

relate it to what I believe.   As understand the three of us, Mike is trying to represent the True Peirce, I am trying to represent the Peirce position insofar as it is a monist position, and Eric is trying to understand Peirce insofar as he agrees with James.  But I cannot even follow those usual themes through the present discussion.

Even the original hypothetical was confusing to me.  Of course the web of terms employed by the lab tech, Pragmatically viewed, encapsulates a broad network of knowledge concerning when things explode.  And I suppose, therefore, Mike might see me as anti-Pragmatic (and merely pragmatic) when I stress the relation between mixing THESE flasks under THESE CIRCUMSTANCES and bad consequences.  I accept that criticism, but I don’t really see him making it.

Lab tech: What? I'm talking about a real danger, and I need you to be careful so it doesn't happen.
Student: Yes, exactly, you believe that those experiences will follow if certain experiences happen now.
Lab tech: Huh? No. I'm telling you how the physical atoms work. I mean... yes... the part about the explosion is something that would happen under certain circumstances in the future, but the chemical reaction and the damage it could cause are well known facts.

I never really understood how the words real and facts are working in this hypothetical and why the Labtech thinks that their safety, in the instant, is better guaranteed by knowing about atoms, than by knowing to keep the two flasks separate.

As for the rest, I am completely lost.  I really need to pull it out into a single document and study the damn thing.  I am torn between an impulse to capitalize on Mike’s participation and the fact that I have much else on my plate right now.

Are we perhaps writing something here?   If so, I will  try to do my best to put aside everything else and pitch in.

I love you guys, honest!

Nick

Nick Thompson

 <mailto:ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com> ThompNickSon2 at gmail.com