[FRIAM] Nick's monism kick

Eric Charles eric.phillip.charles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 17:20:00 EDT 2022

Two preliminaries:
1) For what it's worth, I am trying to back Nick into a different corner
than the one Mike thinks I am.... but Mike is correct in seeing that I
don't want to let Nick weasel out of the confrontation. It is perfectly
valid for Nick to point out that he is proud of any student who takes
*anything *from one course to another, but that doesn't speak to whether he
would be happy or not seeing this particular interaction play out due to
the effects of his teaching.

2) Both Mike and Nick want to read into the lab tech something I was
exactly excluding from the lab tech's reaction - a sophisticated
understanding of the situation that matches what they would like to have a
student glean from their classrooms. In the email I am currently replying
to, Nick says something like "I don't recognize the student as saying what
I would say" and to that I reply "Exactly!" The student isn't a stand in
for you, they are a person your teachings have significantly influenced.
The student, *like you*, doesn't see the role that "real" or "fact" play in
the conversation, and *like you* any hint of "essentialism", especially
connected with something that sounds like a crude "materialism", makes her
scoff.

The basics of the initial scenario are:
A lab tech is giving a safety warning. The student, rather than complying
with that warning, tries to initiate a conversation about how the words
used in the warning make it seem like maybe the lab tech could learn a
thing or two about philosophy from Dr. Thompson (a typical
sophomoric-sophomore way to respond). The lab tech doesn't give a shit
about any of that, and reiterates the safety warning, elaborating it in
ways that make sense *to him* by adding in words like "fact" and "atoms".
The student scoffs even harder now, because this poor fellow can't even
understand that she is trying to help him learn how to think better. As you
listen in the hall, the student's responses might not be *exactly* what you
would say in her place, but it is obvious that she is *trying* to do the
type of conversation you modeled in your class, and that what is happening
is due to your influence as an instructor. The culmination of the back and
forth is that, because the student is doing everything other than complying
with the warning, the lab tech - in his role as the person charged with
maintaining lab safety - kicks her out of the chemistry lab.

And the basic questions to Nick were:
How do you feel witnessing that? Proud, worried, confused? Does it sound
like the student was getting the message you intended, or has the intended
message gone awry?

In the second version, I tried to make the culmination of the interaction
even more extreme, so that the key aspect of the interaction - that the
student was responding to a safety warning by talking philosophy - was even
more obvious. As the conversation continues, the increasingly exasperated
lab tech brings in more and more potentially-irrelevant terms and concepts
for the student to smugly nit pick, until eventually the
thing-being-warned-about actually occurs and several people are grievously
injured.

How was I hoping Nick would respond? I was hoping it would look something
like this:
1) No, I would *not *be happy if I overheard that interaction.
2) She misunderstood X and/or she apparently didn't grok the part where I
explained Y.
3) If I had done a better job in the classroom, she would have cared about
understanding what his warning meant in terms of practice. (And I imagine
anything that Nick adds to illustrate this point would lines up pretty well
with Mike's dialog.)

If Nick has finally wrapped his head around the scene being played out, I
still want to hear from him what X and/or Y are. GIVEN that the student
seems to have a reasonable - if imperfect - understanding of the
conversational side of things, i.e., given that the student is saying
things to the Lab Tech that are very close to what you (Nick) would say in
the student's place, what exactly is it that she failed to appreciate about
the point of view you were presenting?
<echarles at american.edu>