[FRIAM] overshoot day

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Wed Aug 2 17:54:26 EDT 2023

65F in the East Bay.   No big fires like in Canada yet.  We all get just enough relief so we can keep putting it out of mind.

On Aug 2, 2023, at 2:25 PM, Steve Smith <sasmyth at swcp.com> wrote:

On 8/2/23 2:55 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:
I just noticed it was overshoot day, and just after the hottest July ever recorded.    Yay!

I'll be mixing up a nice ice-cold (luke warm?) cocktail of shame with just a splash of Cassandrafruede (reminiscent of Absinthe?) at sundown today (spectacular when orange-tinted from the wildfire smoke and dust blown from drought-denuded areas)... While I pop the ice-cubes from the tray I'll remember the recent factoid from someone (McKibben?) that the annual carbon budget of most people in the third world is roughly that of an American's refrigerator with an Ice-Maker or a Brit's electric Kettle for twice-daily tea.  If I had AC I'd turn it down to it's coldest setting to spite my neighbor by belching superheated air into their AC air handler intakes... but alas I only have adobe walls and brick floors and lots of windows to absorb night-time coolth...   no fun in that!  <ahhh... the lingering aftertaste of Cassandrafruede!>

The wycked hot here in NM finally broke somewhat for us yesterday with an hour of rain like the "good ole days" when every afternoon had a rainstorm starting in July to cool off the second half of the summer.   The crew down in the Bosque building a pumping station to move the water pumped from the Colorado Basin to the Rio Grande (San Juan to Chama) is busy belching diesel exhaust plumes and  throwing adobe-bricklets from their tires when they pull out on the highway to become ad-hoc speed control bumps for the Los Alamos commuters usually roar by at 80 in the 55mph "safety zone" morning and night.

All the world is a circle?  Or is it a donut?  I think maybe I'm channeling Terry Pratchett?

Cheers!

https://www.overshootday.org/

Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam

Fridays 9a-12p Friday St. Johns Cafe   /   Thursdays 9a-12p Zoom https://bit.ly/virtualfriam