[FRIAM] Swirlies redux

David Eric Smith desmith at santafe.edu
Sat Aug 5 16:35:28 EDT 2023

The uncanny valley for me in this is its extraordinary astuteness for the use patterns of weasel wording in the kind of hostage-video writing that any scientist who is still alive to work will have done in grant proposals, responses to referee reports and other such things.  Given how blithe it is about things like magnitude (c.f. Cris Moore’s example in the SFI public lecture about its proposing prime factors for some large number), it is incredibly sharp about how weasel words are used to try to get credit for something while accepting no responsibility.  Various combinations of insinuation, promulgation of bad categories, and other sleights of hand.

I can envision a kind of scientific literature that consists only of good-faith writing, in which if you think there is a resemblance or pattern you are allowed to say so and explain what you are cueing off of, and if you can’t cash it out you can try to make clear where you are stuck.  But in a world where all decision-making has gone down the drain of trying to get something for nothing, I can’t imagine that scientific literature as a component, uncorrupted by the hefty amount of all this other stuff.

Eric