[FRIAM] AI Alliance

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Wed Dec 6 13:47:00 EST 2023

As the habitual tangenteer that I am, I'm left reacting to the phrase
"Musk's reality distortion field".    Tangent aside, I do very much
appreciate Glen's take on this and found the multiple references (much
more on-topic than my tangential riff here) interesting and useful.   I
too hope Stallman will weigh in and wonder what the next evolution of
EFF might look like or be replaced by in this new evolutionary landscape
at the intersection of tech and culture?

I'm hung up, the last few years, on Yuval Harari's Intersubjective
Reality
<https://medium.com/amalgamate/inter-subjective-realities-64b4f6716f72>
as derived from the social science Intersubjectivity
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersubjectivity>.

When I first heard Harari's usage/coinage I reacted to it somewhat the
way I did to Kellyanne Conway's Alternative Facts
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts>, but I now deeply
appreciate what they are all alluding to, some more disingenously than
others.

I don't disagree that Musk's every action and statement has the effect
of "distorting reality" but it is our /Intersubjective Reality/ that is
being distorted, not the reality that most of us were trained/steeped in
via the philosophical tradition of /Logical Positivism
<https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/logical-empiricism/>/.   Others here
were (Social Sciences, Humanism) probably trained up and steeped more in
Phenomenology <https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/phenomenology/> and
more comfortable with Intersubjective Reality.

I find the likes of Musk or Trump or Altman or ( * ), as the
/Personality/ in "Cult of Personality" in much the way star this
recently discovered in-sync planetary system
<https://mashable.com/article/nasa-exoplanets-orbit-star-sync> exists
(see below).   With the planets' orbits finding pairwise (and more
generally n-wise) resonances, all (presumably) coupled exclusively by
gravity (and synced through internal dissipative tidal forces?).

Is chatGPT or OpenAI or AIAlliance ( or, or, or, . . . ) yet another
species of celestial body in an orbital dance?

Musk, of course, operates in a higher-dimensional field of forces with
Tweets (X's?), public appearances, financial transactions, and
launch/contract/release announcements as the "intermediate vector
particles"  and the sturm and drang of individual drama trauma among the
companies, organizations and individuals who are effected by it all as
the internal dissipative forces.

Mashable article on in-sync planetary system
<https://mashable.com/article/nasa-exoplanets-orbit-star-sync>

https://science.nasa.gov/missions/tess/discovery-alert-watch-the-synchronized-dance-of-a-6-planet-system/