[FRIAM] Datasets as Experience

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 12:48:38 EST 2023

Sorry. I also thought it was funny. But I think my reaction is more to the meaning of the phrase "a set of files [...] that represent human ethics." That we can even make sense of that phrase is amazing. Really, it's a lot like Eric's "word salad". We can say such things and actually mean something. Or we can say such things and kindasorta mean something. Or we can say such things and mean nothing at all (just calculate what the most likely next word should be).

I've been in long-standing confusion about the meaning of "ethics". And almost without fail, if/when I say that to a group of people, particularly men, everyone jumps in and explains to me what they think it means. Of course, each of their explanations is different and often pairwise incommensurate. So, if they're sedate, by the end of the conversation, I can convince most people *they* don't know what "ethics" means, either. Add to that the implicit question of whether non-humans have ethics and the file metaphor (from paper to bits on disk to orchestrated bits on multiple disks to in-context learning modified bits on multiple disks), then that sentence is all over the map of possible meanings. That was supposed to be the point of my remark ... in the context of DaveW's question about the semantics of LLM workflows.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ