[FRIAM] A very good piece about ChatGPT.

Russ Abbott russ.abbott at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 13:45:02 EST 2023

Very nice piece by Rich Sutton!

Re NanoGPT. Even though I'm retired, I wanted to learn more about how the
LLMs work. So I started a project in which a number of students and i work
through Karpathy's nanoGPT. We've just started, but I think it will be
worth the effort. Karpathy uses non-trivial Python. Many students don't
know Python at all. So learning Python along with its non-trivial features
as well as becoming familiar with PyTorch, is something of a challenge for
the project. Students (and I, in fact) were not prepared for the amount of
scaffolding background knowledge one had to build for oneself.

The amount fo work required to build the intellectual scaffolding almost
always seems to be an unanticipated problem when learning something new. In
many cases the scaffolding is not just intellectual. Think of what it takes
to learn to play musical instrument!

-- Russ