[FRIAM] Thuram still happening?

Santafe desmith at santafe.edu
Thu Feb 16 07:37:24 EST 2023

It’s the tiniest and most idiosyncratic take on this question, but FWIW, here:
https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1520752113

I actually think that all of what Nick says below is a perfectly good draft of a POV.

As to whether animals “have” categories: Spend time with a dog.  Doesn’t take very much time.  Their interest in conspecifics is (ahem) categorically different from their interest in people, different than to squirrels, different than to cats, different than to snakes.

For me to even say that seems like cueing a narcissism of small differences, when overwhelmingly, their behavior is structured around categories, as is everyone else’s.  Squirrels don’t mistake acorns for birds of prey.  Or for the tree limbs and house roofs one can jump onto.  Or for other squirrels.  It’s all categories.  Behavior is an operation on categories.

I found it interesting that you invoked “nouns” as a framework that is helpful but sometimes obstructive.  One might just have said “words”.  This is interesting to me already, because my syntactician friends will tell you that a noun is not, as we were taught as children, a “word for a person, place, or thing”, but rather a “word in a language that transforms as nouns transform in that language”, which is a bit of an obfuscation, since they do have in common that they are in some way “object-words”.  But from the polysemy and synonymy perspective, we see that “meanings” cross the noun-verb syntactic distinction quite frequently for some categories.  Eye/see, ear/hear, moon/shine, and stuff like that.  My typologist friends tell me that is common but particular to some meanings much more than others.

Another fun thing I was told by Ted Chiang a few months ago, which I was amazed I had not heard from linguists, and still want to hold in reserve until I can check it further.  He says that languages without written forms do not have a word for “word”.  If true, that seems very interesting and important.  If Chiang believes it to be true, it is probably already a strong enough regularity to be more-or-less true, and thus still interesting and important.

Eric