[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 17:02:13 EST 2023

Well, I maintain significant skepticism about any coherent utility functions underlying the machines that do the discretization. The concept of utility seems to *need* a somewhat unified/singular, and perhaps exogenous, agency, which makes it circular reasoning in this context. (Note that I defend circular reasoning almost always and everywhere.)

But the main point, going back to DaveW's questions:
On 2/4/23 07:46, Prof David West wrote:
> 1) Is an *Experience* a whole or a composite?
> 2) Does an *Experience* have duration
> 3) [... snipped ...]
> 4) Can *Experiences* be categorized?
> 5) Does *Experience* 'exist' apart from an experiencer?
> 6) Do *Experiences* persist? Perhaps as memories?

These are all questions brought (back) to the fore in the resurgence of panpsychism. There's simply no evidence-based reason to reject counter-intuitive concepts like electron consciousness or societal/galaxy consciousness. Anyone who's been caught up in any kind of mob *experiences* the mob's consciousness as something separate and higher order than your own. And if we can go up, why can't we go down, too?

I also don't treat bricks as if they have the *same kind* of consciousness/experience that *I* have. Same with the cats. But I do tend to treat them as if they have *some kind* of experience/consciousness. The use of a brick as the example, can be another attempt at an (fallacious) incredulity argument. But using trees makes the argument interesting, especially superorganisms like aspen groves ... or maybe mycelia is an even better foil.

Yes, we all project/impute the structure of our psyche on the things around us. But just because we do that does *not* mean those things don't have psychic structures of their own. By asking structural questions of experience monism, DaveW is probing exactly where such concepts are weakest. The questions deserve authentic attempts at answers.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ