[FRIAM] tangent on dirt unto soil , pile unto patch, nematode unto jellyfish

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Feb 18 13:32:25 EST 2023

Merle -
> What meaning do you give to the word "boundary"?  Time, location, etc.?

Good point... that is perhaps the key to why I resist the term, it is
usually offered to me registered on one of those singular
dimensions...   while I perhaps perceive it as the superposition of
multiple dimensions (and topological relations?).   I also find
"boundaries" to be contextual which is why some of us end up drawing
firm lines in the sand (or stringing fences, etc.)

My best experience of the term is in the social science use of "boundary
negotiating artifact" in the sense of:

    https://depts.washington.edu/csclab/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Lee-2007.pdf

or to the extent we are talking about "Objects", the Social Science

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_object