[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:31:28 EST 2023

While I appreciate DaveW's historical ensconcing, I think there's a different answer to EricS' question. When/if I feel generous to people who talk about the mind and thinking, I liken it to computation, in the trans-computer sense of portability ... the idea that you can run the same computation on different machines. The essentialist tendency, in that seemingly small domain, is well-exhibited by Turing's universal machines and, I think also, the conception that reality is information (another monism, I guess). I even see this in DaveW's attempt to reframe N=1 experimentation (scientific introspection), as an attempt to discover just how *expressive* that computation (someone's mind) can be. It's essentialism because it is a feature of all possible worlds. Even if our universe had no humans or animals, computation is still present. It's the only essence because it's the only feature present in all possible worlds.

My hitch, which prevents me from authentically playing that game, is that semantics requires full grounding. There is no such thing as pure portability. The same computation *cannot* occur on different machines. At best, you can shoe horn equivalence classes, like "for all intents and purposes, the DaveW computation is similar enough to the EricS computation", whereas "the Scooter computation (my cat's thinking) is similar to the Dorian computation (my other cat's thinking)".

Of course, this all hinges on some particular, maybe perverse, understanding of "computation". But it's a much more wranglable word than "mind".

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ