[FRIAM] Nick's Categories

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 10:46:29 EST 2023

Despite the ambiguity both Nick and DaveW rely on when they use the word "dualism", the "psyche" in panpsychism need not be dualist. Experience monism is a kind of panpsychism. When I asserted that there is something that it is like to be dirt, I'm not implying there is a difference between "psyche" and ... matter or whatever else there may be. I'm asserting that whatever it is to be dirt is the *same* as whatever it is to be human.

By even using the phrases "mental stuff" or "mental life", *you* are implicitly asserting there are 2 things: mental and non-mental. There is no such difference, in my opinion. Now, while I am often a moron, I don't deny that people *think* there's a difference. E.g. when you finally get that snap of understanding while running, or taking a shower or whatever, about some concept you've been working on, it *feels* like pure mentation. The shift just feels cognitive, not bodily. But I would maintain my stance that this is an abstraction, a sloughing off of the bodily details. (The illusion is a byproduct of focus and attention, which are mechanical implementations of abstraction.) My stance is that, however cognitive such things feel, they aren't. You wouldn't, *could not*, have arrived at that state without your body, or if you had a different body.

Yes, as long as your body is *similar* to others' bodies, you could arrive at a *similar* understanding, but not the same.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ