[FRIAM] ChatGPT knows FRIAM

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Feb 21 19:17:58 EST 2023

My head is too fuzzy right now (inside as well as out) to conjure the
details, but when Descartes launched I think I knew some of the LANL
crew from the Visual Cortex Modeling efforts (LANL and NM Institute) and
believe that the intellectual/algorithmic legacy included the GENIE
<https://www.fastcompany.com/3045076/just-your-typical-new-mexico-image-recognition-startup-spun-off-from-a-governm>
"image segmentation-by-example" algorithms/software developed in the 90s
which I think of as an alpha/proto-typing of the kind of machine
learning that DALL-E and other image-based generators are based in.

I've a young (well, 40ish now) friend who worked at a SFe startup on the
same kind of technology which got gobbled up by a middle-sized fish out
of Denver which got gobbled by Monsanto (about the time Descartes was
spinning up?).  She stayed on with Monsanto for several years (under
some shame/duress) but finally managed to jump ship to an open-data
space-imaging company (whose name eludes my fuzzy head).   When she was
still in her undergrad (Hydrogeology) I talked with her about GENIE and
it's potential for more virtuous projects (like helping the Nature
Conservancy with planning for the arc-of-evolution of micro-climates to
help them prioritize their acquisitions).  My guess is that this is an
easy no-brainer for such planning, even if we in fact have no financial
motive for such.

This came back to me a lot while reading Kim Stanley Robinson's
"Ministry for the Future"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ministry_for_the_Future> and thinking
about how much bias we (normally) have toward using
science/engineering/tech to leverage exploitation (good of the few) vs
leveraging regulation unto conservation (good of the many)?

After we get done generating silly NFT artpieces and cheating on our
term papers with ChatGPT will we find a way to apply this technology to
a virtuous exploration of the adjacent possible? What would that look
like?   What means "virtuous"?  Does ChatGPT have a (consensus?
popular?) notion of what IS virtuous?