[FRIAM] keep getting mice.

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Tue Jan 3 17:20:12 EST 2023

Gil -

Ferrets can be very unpleasant to smell...  I had a stepdaughter who
kept two (along with a half-dozen cats and gawd knows what other
pet-hoarding my mind has blanked on over 30 years ago). They also are
totally nocturnal and will romp *all night*, especially if there are
more than one (or have a cat or a dog to harass/play with).   I'm sure
ferrets (if they get outside) are hell on birds (especially eggs?),
housecats (if they get outside) can be pretty bad too.   I think Ferrets
will consume their prey unlike cats who will play with them for hours
and hours and then bring at least a partial carcass to you as a gift.
Snakes even more better at full-consumption,  I understand they can
defer defecation until 99% is digested?...

I'm too frugal to throw kill-traps away, but you could follow Tom's
advice and I'd bet by the time you threw a dozen traps (with
head-crushed mice in them) into the trash, you might be done with them
(for this season)... or a handful of kill traps re-used nightly might
rid you over a week's time.   I don't know how territorial they are but
I get the feeling that I never have more than *one* family in my house
when they do infiltrate...  but their reproduction rate is pretty
extreme and one family can become dozens in a short time.