[FRIAM] more bullsh¡t

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jan 7 15:55:18 EST 2023

> AI, Teaching, and "Our Willingness to Give Bullshit a Pass"
> https://dailynous.com/2023/01/05/ai-teaching-and-our-willingness-to-give-bullshit-a-pass/
>

> The first time I heard this argument was from these guys:
>
> https://www.audible.com/pd/Pill-Pod-104-AI-the-New-Crisis-of-Humanities-Education-Podcast/B0BPQ77Z8P
>

> My phrasing of the idea being that tools like ChatGPT are analogous to
> calculators, allowing the computer to do what it's good at and freeing
> humans up to do what we're good at. Why require students to learn
> bullshit rhetorical styling when we can teach them to think about the
> *substance* ... a lesson many of us learned from Knuth's TeX a long
> time ago. The trick is that tools like ChatGPT are built around the
> bullshit-generation use case. What we need are tools built around the
> bullshit-detection use case.

and is the introduction of GPTZero (and it's ilk) represent closing the
loop in an "antagonistic" pair to hone that BS generator even faster?

> With branch prediction, we could implant a little device just under
> the eardrum that listened to someone's speech acts for a tiny
> fraction, predict where it was going, and call bullshit or "pay
> attention" for some interval. The bullshitters' rhetoric would never
> even reach your audio perception devices. ... like trigger warnings
> for all of us sensitive snowflakes who can't bear to look on images of
> Mohammed
> <https://whyevolutionistrue.com/2023/01/05/hamline-university-assailed-for-firing-professor-who-showed-images-of-muhammads-face/>.

With a nod to our resident trans/post-humanist(s), our perceptual
circuits *already* select for what they have been trained to
see/hear/smell/taste/feel some things more/better/easier/differently
than others.  So jacking that up with pass-through AR technology is
totally "obvious"... and therefore a "good idea"?

> Those of us who've kissed the Blarney Stone, unfortunately, would
> spend our lives talking to brick walls.

But with things developing as they are, the brick walls would be capable
of a much more interesting dialogue, perhaps, than people (though given
nay will be post/trans-humans, WTF?).   A wall of (otherwise) bricked
smart-devices programmed just to be contrarian with your syntax and
logic constructions?

I think this is probably where we are headed:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands