[FRIAM] new thermal tech

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Sat Jan 7 16:39:28 EST 2023

Gary Schiltz wrote:
> Amusing indeed (the PV magazine article). The pump “reportedly
> produces 3 kW to 4 kW of heat for every kilowatt of power it
> consumes”. Say what?

this is just the typical way that a "heat pump" works, not by creating
the energy in the power, just by concentrating it... ejecting
warmer/cooler air/water on the opposite side of the system...

The wider range of air-source functioning: -15 to 50C  and being
hydromechanically suitable for liquid-sourcing (e.g. run water through a
pipe buried in the ground, or ground-water being pumped for irrigation)
makes it yet more suitable.

First glance on the article suggests a better duty cycle with(out) the
kinds of moving/friction parts compressors come with (conventional
heat-pump)...

I don't know much about the environmental or practical implications of
using Helium as a working fluid...  huge molecular size compared to H,
but a fraction of most other working gasses?

The 3-4/1 coefficient of performance implied by the article numbers is
roughly 10-14EER  or 12-17SEER  to compare with commercial
HVAC/Mini-Split numbers...   so in the same general range?

I've never looked hard, but have been curious about an
ammonia-working-fluid heat-source refrigeration system (usually used as
an off-grid/RV Propane fridge).  Seems like concentrated solar-thermal
driving refrigeration (or heat pumping in reverse?) would be pretty
elegant?   Ammonia as a working fluid also seems lower-industrial and
presumably more environmental than it's more industrial cousins?  I knew
people growing up who lived without electric service who had these funny
looking refrigerators which had a pilot-light-sized flame in the back
that "made them cool"... from a propane tank... crazy talk I thought  then!