[FRIAM] (not) leaving Twitter

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 06:13:38 EST 2023

Dispositional belief (by which I mean acting as if you believe) in some thing requires there be a somewhat coherent thing in which to believe, whether or not that thing actually exists (e.g. a mathematical limit). That's necessary for *progression*. Admittedly, there can be a ball of uncertainty around the thing and around any wandering path to the thing. But there does have to be a thing in order for it to be fideistic. Apotheotic conceptions (e.g. The long-termism) follow it to a T.

Of course, there are "behaviorists" out there who impute a thing onto agnostic or wave-riding opportunists. (People impute such upon me all the time.) And then, given enough data about the actor's behaviors, if their actions really *do* converge over a long enough time and toward a small enough ball around some thing, then whether or not they're merely opportunists or True Believers is a distinction without a difference. As long as we can effectively *treat* them as if they believe in the thing, then it's irrelevant whether or not they actually believe in the thing.

So your question of "can't one just ...?" Sure. Of course. But the coherence of one's actions is a practical indicator for fideism. And Musk exhibits it. The Uihleins' exhibit it. I think Thiel does, too. Estimating what any of them might do, or why they might do what they do, then, depends on how coherent you can make the thing and their trajectory towards that thing. (It's also a good way to manipulate people by estimating what they *might* believe in, then dangling something that looks like it in front of them. E.g. Facebook's Metaverse, decentralized finance with the cryptobros, or the tendency to ignore the bullsh¡t of ChatGPT.)

In order for actor A to avoid imputing belief in a thing onto actor B, actor B's exhibited repertoire has to be incompressible enough to resist reduction to 1 or a few things. And the controller/modeler has to have at least as much variation as the system being controlled/modeled. So actor A has to have enough of a (perhaps latent) repertoire to recognize the limits to B's repertoire. It's a fine line between genius and insanity. But whether that line is a limitation of the observer or the lack of a limitation of the observed is particular to the case.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ