[FRIAM] Deep learning training material

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Mon Jan 9 11:49:32 EST 2023

I was hoping this article would have more meat to it, but the main point
seems highly relevant to a practical/introductory workshop such as the
one you are developing:

The Need for Interpretable Features: Taxonomy and Motivation
<https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3544903.3544905>

https://scitechdaily.com/mit-taxonomy-helps-build-explainability-into-the-components-of-machine-learning-models/

My limited experience with ML is that the convo/invo-lutions that
developers go through to make their learning models work well tend to
obscure the interpretability of the results.   Some of this seems
unavoidable (inevitable?), particularly the highly technical reserved
terminology that often exists in a given domain, but this team purports
to help provide guidelines for minimizing the consequences...

My main experience with this domain involved an attempt to find distance
measures between the flake patterns in 3D scanned archaeological
artifacts, starting with lithics but also aspiring to work with pottery
and textiles...  essentially trying to recognize similarities in the
"hand" of the artisans involved.