[FRIAM] [off topic] Bank of america problems

Barry MacKichan barry.mackichan at mackichan.com
Tue Jan 10 17:35:18 EST 2023

One more bank story. About 35 years ago, 1987 I think, we were owed
$40,000 by a German company that had developed a keyboard with
programmable LCD symbols in the keys. We had a word processor for
mathematics which allowed the user to design new characters. We handled
the display and printing of the symbols, but we couldn’t change the
keyboard symbols, so this company seemed like a good fit. Normally we
required all our overseas distributors to pay us with a remote deposit
to our account, but this company sent us checks.

I took them to Citizens Bank in Las Cruces, and weeks later, they still
hadn’t cleared. In the meantime, IBM announced their new PS/2, Which
in retrospect was a non-event, but the German company’s investors
panicked, and they went into bankruptcy.

We were left holding an empty bag.

—Barry