[FRIAM] NickC channels DaveW

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:21:08 EST 2023

Being a too-literal person, who never gets the joke, I have to say that these simple scalings, combinatorial or not, don't capture the interconnectionist point being made in the pain article. The absolute numbers of elements (neurons, synapses, signaling molecules, etc.) flatten it all out. But _ganglion_, that's a different thing. What we're looking for are loops and "integratory" structures. I think that's where we can start to find a scaling for smartness.

In that context, my guess is the heart is closer to ChatGPT in its smartness than either of those are to the human gut. But structure-based assessments like these merely complement behavior-based assessments. We could quantify the number of *jobs* done by the thing. The heart has fewer jobs to do than the gut. And the gut has fewer jobs to do than the dog. Etc. Of course, the lines between jobs aren't all that crisp, especially as the complexity of the thing grows. Behaviors in complex things are composable and polymorphic. In spite of our imagining what ChatGPT is doing, it's really only doing 1 thing: choosing the most likely next token given the previous tokens. You *might* be able to serialize your dog and suggest she's really just choosing the most likely next behavior given the previous behaviors. But my guess is dog owners perceive (or impute) that dogs resolve contradictions that arise in parallel. (chase the ball? chew the bone? continue chewing the bone until you get to the ball?) Contradiction resolution is evidence of more than 1 task. You could gussy up the model by providing a single interface to an ensemble of models. Then it might look more like a dog, depending on the algorithm(s) used to resolve contradictions between models. But to get closer to dog-complexity, you'd have to wire the models together so that they could contradict each other but still feed off each other in some way. A model that changes its mind midway through its response would be good. I haven't had a dog in a long time. But I seem to remember they were easy to redirect, despite the old saying "like a dog with a bone".

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ