[FRIAM] Dope Slap Thread

Prof David West profwest at fastmail.fm
Fri Jan 20 18:28:37 EST 2023

Nick wrote: (emphasis mine)

*"Even though I might have to admit that the truth will never be found, *I still find that the truth is an aspiration that I cannot live without.* So I think that probably the underlying in Peirce as I see him is that human experience is the result of cognition, both at the individual and the group level, and that cognition (habit formation, etc.) is ultimately a truth seeking mechanism which operates statistically, looking for human-relevant regularities in the stream of experience. *So while I might have to agree that we will never know when we have arrived at the truth of any .matter  and that therefore, we will always have to deal with different versions of what that truth is, etc., You are comfortable with that state of affairs, while I am not.*  I need to think we are working together toward something that can be won for us both and then bullt upon by us both.... and everybody else."*

Reading your paragraph engendered a sense of guilt vis-a-vis my often vocal (especially at St. John's) antipathy to truth. Almost as if I was challenging Nick and not just Nick's ideas. That emotionalism aside, your statement engendered these reactions:

1) truth is an aspiration ... Is there a truth continuum; from something like "the butler did it with a knife in the library" to "F=MA" to "God Lives"? And, if so, how far along that continuum does your aspiration take you?

2) different versions of what truth is and relativism ... is there no mechanism for reconciliation? Might it be the case that two conflicting truths are but 'local minima' that our 'hill climbing algorithm' will ultimately bypass?
    2A) you and I are fans of etymology as a vehicle for finding the "truth' of meaning for a word. Is it possible to devise an analogous method/technique for finding the meaning of a "truth?" This question arose recently when I was trying to discover why Catholics , currently, hold the truth, 'life begins at conception' when both Aristotle and, more importantly, Aquinas argued that a person did not exist until a soul inhabited a fetus, something that occurred five months after conception for boys and eight months for girls. My reading of Pierce hints at such a method, but that is probably a misconception.

3) human-relevant regularities in the stream of experience ... can any truth be found if the stream of experience is constrained to one watershed? This is my old argument about the impossibility of finding truth unless your stream of experience includes psychedelics and other non-objective/physicalist experiences.

4) premature truth ... not from something you wrote, but a personal reaction. When I am at my most immodest, I fancy myself to be a haeresiarch—an arch-heretic vis-a-vis any and every orthodoxy. I have probably misread, egregiously, Pierce, but I find his program leading less to truth than to orthodoxy. This despite his insistence that all truth is subject to revision. I am far more skeptical than Pierce when it comes to the possibility of overcoming the inertia of "established" truth.

5) Cognition ... a topic for another time and place, except to note that my best working hypothesis with regard cognition is grounded in panpsychism.

Thank you for your post, I found it quite provocative.

davew