[FRIAM] Turning Psychology into a Social Science

Jochen Fromm jofr at cas-group.net
Tue Jan 24 17:55:03 EST 2023

I am currently browsing the millions of books in the Berlin state library. They have so many books that they are a "closed stack" library where you have to order every book you want to read (unlike most open-stack university libraries). One of the books I have stumbled upon today is named "Turning Psychology into a Social Science" by Bernard Guerin, a professor of psychology at the University of Southern Australia in Adelaide.The idea in his book is to focus on the social interactions that determine the behavior and shape human actions. Similar to the fundamental idea we have discussed earlier that subjective experience can be understood by the particular slice of the world someone has perceived. IIRC it was this discussion that made me think that cinemas are just machines to solve the hard problem of consciousness: they show us what it is like to be someone else by revealing us all the essential social interactions and contexts that shaped the behavior of a person.Looking forward to read Guerin's book. Made some new ideas in it...-J.