[FRIAM] serious AI question

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 13:46:44 EST 2023

While I appreciate Jochen's and SteveS' responses, they didn't cover a point I think might be useful. You point out the assumption of effability, which is interesting. But I think a more fragile assumption is that there *are* categories in humans/artifacts that are classifiable in the first place. I think we can safely leave aside that humans and the artifacts they respond to are different. But if others feel it makes a difference, I'm happy to lob some words at it.

On one extreme of a spectrum, let's say the left, we could place the situation that there is 1 type of human/artifact that trigger in this way (implying there are 2 types, those who do and those who don't). On the other end of the spectrum, let's say the right, there are as many classes/categories as there are humans/artifacts. I.e. any possible human/artifact might be triggered, depending on the circumstances. But no 2 people will trigger under the same circumstances.

My claim is that AI/ML will *not* be useful in an open set from the middle to the right. The lower bound will move as we apply more complicated AI/ML. But at the limit, if everyone's in their own class, they're not really classes. But it may be useful for a region on the left.

I think DaveW's also assuming that there *are* classes to find. Whether I buy that assumption or not is irrelevant. I think it needs to be defended. Why would we believe there are classes of human/art that would trigger this, rather than, say, a random event where the humans/artifacts are rationalized later as having been triggered and been the trigger?

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ