[FRIAM] Watch "The Most Important Idea in Physics: The Principle of Least Action - Ask a Spaceman!" on YouTube

Pieter Steenekamp pieters at randcontrols.co.za
Mon Jul 3 13:03:19 EDT 2023

Nick,

Two points, first an answer to your request to share my intuition, then
maybe a possible source for you to learn more:

My understanding of the concept of least action in physics is that it
involves the principle that objects in the universe exhibit a tendency to
minimize the transfer of energies between kinetic and potential energies as
they move through space. In other words, objects are "lazy" in the sense
that they prefer paths that require the least amount of energy exchange.
To elaborate on this intuition, consider a body in motion with both kinetic
and potential energies. The total sum of these energies remains constant
because energy cannot be created or destroyed. However, as the body moves
through space, there can be a transfer of energy between the kinetic and
potential forms. In line with the idea that objects in the universe tend to
be lazy, the transfer of energies between kinetic and potential forms is
minimized during the body's movement.
>From this perspective, the concept of least action can be understood as
minimizing the sum of the differences between kinetic and potential
energies along the path taken by the body. By minimizing this quantity, we
capture the "laziness" or preference of objects to follow paths that
require minimal energy exchange as they move from one point to another in
space.

Now, the second point, there is a nice book on the bare minimum you need to
understand to start doing physics, written for people without a math or
physics background wanting to really understand physics. It is "The
Theoretical Minimum. What You Need to Know to Start Doing Physics". By
Leonord Susskind and George Hrabovsky. (Available from Amazon at
https://www.amazon.com/Theoretical-Minimum-Start-Doing-Physics/dp/0465075681
)
You can just watch the video lectures at
https://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/classical-mechanics/2011/fall
Specifically the concept of least action is covered in lecture three of the
series at
https://theoreticalminimum.com/courses/classical-mechanics/2011/fall/lecture-3