[FRIAM] Radical Empiricism

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Mon Jun 5 01:13:01 EDT 2023

I don't mean "we" as in FRIAM, I mean "we" as in nations.   A benefit of capturing knowledge with LLMs, or similar technology, is that people wouldn't need to be educated about the same material over and over, especially if these systems are integrated into our neural systems.  Why not have individuals inherit a common database so that their lives can be spent on differentiated activities?   There's so little that tie together individuals besides their fears and superstitions.  When I see chatGPT emit passable conversations like this, it seems kind of absurd to waste years of a young person's time covering the same old ground.  (Actually, it already seems that way to me.) Countries like Israel and Greece have mandatory military service.  Some believe this instills in them values greater than themselves.  In this case of the Borg, care of the collective is care of the self and vice versa.  The common practice in the open source LLM community of fine tuning pre-trained LLMs is so much more efficient than what humans do to educate.