[FRIAM] Radical Empiricism

glen gepropella at gmail.com
Mon Jun 5 14:24:04 EDT 2023

I try to be careful about my allusions to "openness". I attribute (perhaps wrongly) the openness of science to Critical Rationalism (Popper, but better described by David Miller). Good (and bad) ideas can come from *anywhere*. Even those miracle people like FGJ Perey can come up with bad ideas. My (false) dichotomy between nonsense and abductive triggers might be problematic. But that's just a distraction. The real point is about the interstitial spaces *between* models, not the models or the ground they cover. I would never ask whether James and/or Husserl are correct. But asking whether they're talking about the same thing is a good question.

The backend of the LLMs seem like mere validation, to me. What's more important is whether the weights and structure of the underlying system span the space of the (natural) language. Let James and Husserl be language models, J and H, themselves. The way J would determine if H is talking about the same thing J is talking about is by talking. When the language expressed by H is enough *like* the language expressed by J, then J will say "yes". If the expressions stably remain dissimilar, or explode in dissimilarity, then J will say "no".

Objectively, if J and H are capable of "online learning", then we might be able to do some kind of similarity measure of their language before they interacted. Then let them yap with each other for, say, 1000 iterations. And measure the [dis]similarity between their expressions at time 0 and their post-interactive expressions. Maybe H brainwashes J such that d(H0,H1) = 0, but d(J0,J1) = d(J0,H0) ... or vice versa.

--
ꙮ Mɥǝu ǝlǝdɥɐuʇs ɟᴉƃɥʇ' ʇɥǝ ƃɹɐss snɟɟǝɹs˙ ꙮ