[FRIAM] [EXT] New Mexico SNOTEL Santa Fe (922) (05P09S ) (PST) Daily series for wateryear=2023

thompnickson2 at gmail.com thompnickson2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 17:25:03 EDT 2023

John,

Well, in MA, we are living under the third day of unpredicted rain.  But
it's not a monsoon.  What defines a monsoon is a weakness in the subtropical
high pressure regime that allows moisture to flood northward over a heated
continent.   The new Mexico "monsoon"  is supposed tostart in May and June
in Mexico and move northward, arriving in August   June is supposed to be
hot and dry.

I suspect that some  mechanism other than the classic "monsoon"is operating
now. The weather people like to call any sustained period of rainy weather
in NM a monsoon, which I think is crap.  Hence the "Joon Nonsoon."

nick