[FRIAM] in other tech news reddit is imploding

Gillian Densmore gil.densmore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 23:00:39 EDT 2023

I haven't followed all of the drama
a fairly biased post from a user:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MarvelSnap/comments/148zdb2/rmarvelsnaps_update_on_the_reddit_blackout_and_a/
The TLDR as best I can tell is reddit had planed a IPO, and before that
announced to use reddits API's would cost more.  Somewhere along the line a
3rd party reddit app called apollo and reddit were talking business for a
contract, and that went south quickly. The upshot being it'd cost a
bokamillionsofbucks to pay reddit for user data and api access. So now a
bunch of reddit mods turned off access to their subreddits.
In the meantime their now over at...lemmy+kbin.social of all places.
I guess today the powers that be at reddit might be fixing to turn off the
private flag for the subs not hearing it about this apollo thing.

What I don't get at all is the amount of drama over one app. Then I haven't
used reddit in years. Muchless whatever this apollo thing is. And I'm also
beyond lost why reddit wants to go public.

On the other hand kbin seems vaguely like some bulletin boards, or forums
from back in the day. I keep waiting for a banner add with all of the
<blink>BY BALLBUSTER 90000!!! FOR EXTREEEEEM ENERGY</blink> header tags to
show up on kbin or lemmy.world

any guesses who's the bigger dweeb: huffman or musk?