[FRIAM] From Merle--AI News

Steve Smith sasmyth at swcp.com
Fri Jun 16 18:02:15 EDT 2023

On 6/16/23 2:31 PM, Merle Lefkoff wrote:

> Here in the U.S., Jennifer DeStefano, an Arizona mother, testified at
> a Senate hearing this week about her harrowing experience with a
> deepfake scam that tricked her into thinking her daughter had been
> kidnapped. DeStefano says the fake kidnappers demanded a $50,000
> ransom before she got in touch with her daughter, who was in fact safe
> and sound.
>
> *Jennifer DeStefano*: “It was my daughter’s voice. It was her cries.
> It was her sobs. It was the way she spoke. I will never be able to
> shake that voice and the desperate cries for help out of my mind. It’s
> every parent’s worst nightmare to hear your child pleading with fear
> and pain, knowing that they’re being harmed and that you’re helpless.
> The longer this form of terror remains unpunishable, the farther and
> more egregious it will become. There is no limit to the depth of evil
> AI can enable.”
>

> Is it already too late to design any kind of regulations?

I think it will require some deep re-factoring of many things ranging
from government regulations and enforcement to social norms and
expectations.  I fear this will require some kind of collapse or
revolution and renewal from the ashes.

This is not a reason not to consider deeply what these
rules/regulations/etc might be... if anyone here knows of serious
efforts one or two orders-of-magnitude/levels-of-indirection away from
"the usual" I'd be interested... this qualifies as "wycked-hard"
problem.  I think there has been precedent for this level of refactoring
but I think there were things like World Wars that accompanied that
magnitude (and quality) of change.