[FRIAM] I am not Unique

Frank Wimberly wimberly3 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 24 20:10:49 EDT 2023

Thanks, Russ.  I posted that because I've been bugging certain Friam
attendees about why they travel so much.  I say there's no place that I'd
rather be than Santa Fe so I tend to stay here.

It's not that I haven't traveled.  I remember being moved when I stood at
the place where Thomas Becket was murdered in Canterbury Cathedral; there
was nobody else there at that moment.  I was amused that the waiters in
hotels in London would reply, "Thank you very much, sir" when I thanked
them.  I was being a tourist then.

In the mid-nineties my wife and I traveled to Mexico several times.  I like
Mexicans and they like speaking Spanish to Gringos.  Some of those trips
were for the purpose of cultivating relationships to help with our wish to
adopt a Mexican child.  I believe that in Mexico more than in some other
places whom you know affects what you can do.  There were 90 adoptions by
US couples in Mexico that year (1997) while there were several thousand in
each of Russia and China.  I didn't feel like a tourist during those trips.

Our daughter Flor, her husband and kids are all in our house right now.
They live in Santa Fe near the Airport.

Frank
---
Frank C. Wimberly