[FRIAM] I am not Unique

Marcus Daniels marcus at snoutfarm.com
Sun Jun 25 21:57:51 EDT 2023

A little bit of internet research will do that to, as your post demonstrates.

On Jun 25, 2023, at 12:59 PM, Tom Johnson <jtjohnson555 at gmail.com> wrote:

For me, there is at least a fifth reason to travel: to learn how other countries and cultures do things, usually better than we do in the U.S. For example:

  *   The use of cable cars in La Paz<https://www.google.com/search?q=map+of+cable+cars+in+la+paz+bolivia&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=APwXEdcK0Xuv-J5Q1jVDXKf4An3iKsJJqg%3A1687722111972&ei=f5iYZKb_OtKF0PEPlMyEiAc&ved=0ahUKEwjmutrnlt__AhXSAjQIHRQmAXEQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=map+of+cable+cars+in+la+paz+bolivia&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiI21hcCBvZiBjYWJsZSBjYXJzIGluIGxhIHBheiBib2xpdmlhMgUQABiiBDIFEAAYogQyBRAAGKIESKBRUMIfWKtGcAF4AZABAJgBwAegAfcpqgENMC4zLjEuNy4xLjAuMrgBA8gBAPgBAcICChAAGEcY1gQYsAPCAgcQIxiwAhgnwgIIEAAYBRgeGA3CAggQABiKBRiGA8ICCBAhGKABGMMEwgIKECEYoAEYwwQYCuIDBBgAIEGIBgGQBgg&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#imgrc=nJiOBwg5sXSq0M&imgdii=CsPzMQi3Hbft8M>, Bolivia to reduce traffic in the geographically challenged city.
  *   The creative use of escalators in Medellin, Colombia<https://www.google.com/search?q=escalators+in+medin+colombia&client=firefox-b-1-d&sxsrf=APwXEdfb2CAIaV9klhgY32kqTtGp7pM1Dw%3A1687722159145&ei=r5iYZL6jCIGJ0PEP0cyBkAM&ved=0ahUKEwj-tpn-lt__AhWBBDQIHVFmADIQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=escalators+in+medin+colombia&gs_lp=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-QHCAiQQABiABBixAxhGGPkBGJcFGIwFGN0EGEYY9AMY9QMY9gPYAQLCAgYQABgWGB7CAggQABgWGB4YD8ICCBAAGIoFGIYDwgIFECEYoAHCAggQIRgWGB4YHcICBRAAGKIE4gMEGAAgQYgGAZAGCLoGBggBEAEYFLoGBggCEAEYEw&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#lpg=cid:CgIgAQ%3D%3D,ik:CAoSLEFGMVFpcE5tdXJGQ3Fwa0hPYWFOZGlqMGZQbTBQbWVYTGY5ZHQ2Z2M5Y0M0> to provide efficient transportation to work for the poor living on the steep slopes of the city's mountains. Not only have they benefitted the residents, but they have enhanced the culture by building libraries and community centers at transition points in the system.
  *   Again in Colombia, the major cities are divided into economic zones reflecting the income of residents.  I recall that the zones are 1 to 5, and the designation is even posted on street signs. The key, however, is that things like utility bills are pegged to the zones -- Zones #1 paying far less than each higher zone.
  *   Cities all over the world that attract tourists enhance their local economies -- and elevate the tourists' experience -- by closing off streets in the cities' historic districts to cars. (Hey, Santa Fe, are you listening?)
  *   How about international airports that (a) provide luggage cars for free; (b) have directional signs in multiple languages, (c) have multi-lingual hosts and hostesses to give directions (in Mexico City, many of these folks are in wheelchairs; in Bangkok, many are attractive young women in traditional dress)
  *   South Africa has something like 13 "official" languages. Go into its parliament visitors' gallery, put on headphones and dial up the simultaneous translation on any one of them. Ever tried to get even Spanish in the NM legislature?

I am sure many of you can suggest more.
Tom