[FRIAM] Trees as wind farms.

Stephen Guerin stephenguerin at fas.harvard.edu
Tue Jun 27 22:19:17 EDT 2023

Building on Eric's point that trees are not energy limited, I can almost
hear the trees responding to you, Nick.  "Dear boy, we ARE but the wind
incarnate. And we return to wind in a quick exhale"

consider the dual bidirectional chemical reaction of photosynthesis on left
and combustion on the right. combustion or slower respiration.

   CO2 + H2O  <=>  C6H12O6 + O2

left to right, we have low entropy ultraviolet light with carbon dioxide
and water becoming the tree (the carbohydrate/glucose) literally out of the
air and putting out oxygen. As you watch this NASA simulation of CO2 for
year (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SgmFa0r04) trees sucking in the air
(wind) and forming themselves in the spring in the northern hemisphere.

Imagine two other visualizations of what's happening with the water vapor
and oxygen along with the CO2 visualization....

In the summer, when the oxygen is now plentiful, the reaction reverses and
the trees literally become winds of CO2 and Steam (later condensing high
into water) putting out higher entropy infrared.  Note Africa spewing out
CO2 and Water with 70% of the global area burned.

__
Stephen Guerin
Harvard Earth and Planetary Sciences
Visualization Research and Teaching Lab